Monday 18 June 2007

A Blog On Purpose

I was reading Ben's blog quite recently and had a question/thought that was stirred by reading it. I had had the feeling that I should post a comment but didn't find it overly relevant to the rest of the discussion. Also I needed a new post.

I have many problems with the fundamental structure of the christian faith/church/beliefs. This doesn't stop me from calling myself and believing strongly in the fact that I am a Christian, because I do believe in much of the same things, it just means that it can get frustrating, confronting or confusing at times.

It was not only Ben's post but also something that was said during the church service on Sunday by a member of the Church that struck a chord in me and does every time I hear it. It generally goes something like,
"The sole purpose of the church is/should be to convert/save all people." Implying that all that we do as a group of people is done so that we can reach the ultimate goal of converting everybody to Christianity.

I guess, to me there is a greater goal or meaning to what we are doing and that is something along the lines of simple human decency. The above idea has never ever sat well with me. I'm not entirely sure why. I think it has something to do with the fact that I associate the statement more prevalently with words like heaven hoarder, arrogance, shallow, selfish, glory seeking, than words like self sacrificial, helpful, saving, grace, love or caring. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I didn't expect my blog to turn into some sort of religious discussion board but with who I am I should of really seen it coming. It's an idea that has been bothering me and I have been a honest as possible so I hope I don't deeply offend anyone. I would greatly appreciate honest response to the thought.

10 comments:

B.C. said...

Firstly, proud of you, good blog, and you're back in the game haha.

Secondly, NEVER write "should of". OR say it. You should have written "should have". Yep.

Now onto the real stuff. I'm in the same boat as you. The whole time I've been exposed to "We should be focussing on saving people" or "Mission is about going out there to save for God", I've felt uncomfortable, and at times, angry.

There was a certain time it came up in Veta last year at a retreat, and I think you were there with Sime and I. Well, I got really angry at one of the comments made. Sime had to tell me to calm down.

It's strange how it is talked about as 'saving' people, yet for the both of us it doesn't really fit with the word 'saving'. Yes, it is a great thing if we talk to people about our faith, share in what they think/believe, and they make their OWN decision to come to God. BUT I don't believe it is our duty to be saving people, but to be caring, compassionate, sharing, loving people of God. That's the best way for me.

You can't force people to believe in God. That's anti-what we believe in. If I went about trying to 'save' people, I personally would feel manipulative, like I was trying to plant thoughts in people's heads. Wouldn't we be no better than the colonists when they captured slaves and made them adopt Christianity? Doubt it.

Finally, I looked up specific meaning of 'fundamental' - "serving as an essential component". Well, in regards to the fundamentals of Christianity, I think: as stated in the Bible, above all is love, followed by other such things as compassion, care, service, forgiveness, as you have written. These do a far better job of sparking thoughts in people's minds. Good blog.

PS. Longest comment I've ever written. Be proud of that too.

Kyla said...

I agree that the purpose of our faith shouldn't be to make everyone believe in Jesus. We have no control over what anyone does, except for ourselves. I think that as Christians we should be living with integrity, love and justice. If we live open and honest lives people will see that.

I think we should just be honest and trustworthy people.. not to hide our faith but there's no point in forcing it on others. How do you think the church came to be seen as hypocritical and judgemental?

Jesus didn't go around preaching on worship and believing in God. He healed the sick, fed the hungry, befriended those left out by society and challenged the structure of his world. He called us to follow him and I don't think that has anything to do with bible bashing.

Paul said to preach the gospel in everything you do and, if necessary, use words. I don't think that adds up with the sole purpose of the church being to convert everyone to our faith.

Jono said...

I don't have much to say other than what has already been said. I pretty much agree with what everybody ahs said. To me, I hate using the word "saving" because of its bad connotations, as touched upon by everyone else here.
I enjoy reading your blogs. You should write more.

some girl said...

Agree.

I don't like when people make statements like that it just... grr...

I have a lot of problems with the structure of the church as well... like this one.

Anonymous said...

It's Matt Waters! yay lol.

on a more seriouse note.. i second all that has been said in ur blog and the comments! looks like ur not the only one who has a problem with this issue.

still waiting on that email! Maybe blogs r a better way of keeping in touch wif u? perhaps i will get me one...

emmalee said...

write another blog.
now.
go.
it doesnt have to be serious cos u have had a massive break.
so, GO.
now.
GO!
xx

Sime said...

One of the questions that I have in my mind when I hear things like "we need to save people" is-save them from what exactly? If we're "saving" them so that they can come to church-buy-christian-stuff-feed-me-spirituality-can't-get-enough-of-Christian-movies-books-CONSUMERISM then why would people want to be "saved". Also, isn't it God, at work within all of us who prompts us to discover more of this enigmatic presence? Also, who says that Christians are right? If God is truly God, then why would God only reveal Godself to one group of people at one point in history? Also, why would I want anyone to follow what I do and become like me? And yet, when we expect someone to be "saved" we expect them to behave like us, rather than the one who we claim to follow, Jesus. Anyway, I'm getting kinda preachy here so I'll shut up before someone lays the smack down on me. If you smell what I'm cook'n

B.C. said...

Sime: Do i want to know what you think? huh? You want to tell me what you think? Well... IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK. that's what.

Matt: Hurry up and blog already. I apologise on behalf of Simon and I for our wrestling comments on your spiritual wrestling blog.

Sime said...

BC: Single raised eyebrow...You know what comes next

B.C. said...

... THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MOVE IN BLOG ENTERTAINMENT!!!